Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency
Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification
The Security Professional Education Development (SPēD) Certification Program is part of a Department of Defense (DoD) initiative to professionalize the security workforce. This initiative ensures there exists a common set of competencies among security practitioners that promotes interoperability, facilitates professional development and training, and develops a workforce of certified security professionals.
You are eligible to pursue a SPēD certification if you are DoD personnel or a federal employee or contractor assigned to a security position.
Contact your Component SPēD Program Management Office (PMO), if you have questions about your SPēD Certification Program eligibility.
The 11 Steps to SPēD Testing
- Notify your supervisor of your intent to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Log in to (or create) your Security Training, Education, and Professionalization Portal (STEPP) account. If you have previously participated in the SPēD Certification Program, have a My SPēD Certification (MSC) account, and have tested at a Pearson VUE testing facility, skip to step 8.
- Edit your STEPP profile page by selecting the edit profile link located on the top right-hand navigation bar.
- Once on the STEPP edit profile page, scroll down to the third drop down tab and expand the "General User Information" navigation bar. Check the box next to "SPēD Certification Program" to indicate your desire to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Once you check the box a message prompt will appear. Read the message and click "OK."
- You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours with a link and a verification code to your new MSC account. Please note: MSC is a non-DoD commercial website.
- Verify your MSC account information using the verification code, and create your user ID and password.
- Sign in to your MSC account. Under "Forms" on the left-hand navigation bar, click "Complete a Form."
- From the "New Forms" tab, select, complete, and submit your Assessment Request Form.
- If your request is approved, follow the instructions within the confirmation email.
- After you have scheduled your test, you will receive a confirmation email with important information for test day, including directions to the test center.
Note: Click here to find a test center location nearest to you.
*Candidates who are eligible to test must schedule and complete their authorized certification test within 90 days.
Prepare for SPēD Certification